Don't Miss A Thing!
Get The Goods!
The beginning of a New Year is a great time to examine and update your website! Keeping your website updated will ensure your current customers that you stay informed of current trends and important updates. And, more importantly, improve your website’s Search Engine Optimization, page speed and so much more! Here are a few easy ways to update your website for the new year.
The very first thing you should do is update your copyright year in your footer. Sometimes this can be overlooked and forgotten because it’s tucked in your footer and out of sight. Changing your copyright year to the current year shows visitors that your website is up-to-date and safe. If your website is displaying an old copyright year, users may feel your site is outdated and not trustworthy.
If you have a WordPress website, you can read How To Change The Copyright Footer On Your WordPress Website, and it will outline the steps to take to change your copyright year.
Update any pricing information that may change for the new year. This is especially important if you are a service provider and have increased your fees/rates. Or, if you have a shop and have decided for the new year to increase your prices.
Next, it is important to update any old blog posts that you have on your website. Updating old blog posts is a great way to up your SEO game and increase your website traffic.
First, work through your high-performing blog posts. Then revisit the blog posts that had the worst performance later and update those. You can take a look at your Google Analytics to find out which ones you should visit first. . And, if you have not yet added Google Analytics to your website, you can read How To Add Google Analytics To Your Website to guide you.
Here are items you should check for when updating old blog posts.
By adding trendy keywords, your SEO will improve. There may be more trending keywords that will work for your old blog posts than the ones that you have used.
Check for any old links that may need to be updated. If they are no longer valid, delete them.
Update older images with newer, trendy images. Make sure your old blog posts include a pin-worthy image (1000×1500) for users to share. Place this pin image near the top of your blog posts. If you have blog posts that have not been updated in years, then your pin image may not be the correct size. This can increase your website traffic tremendously.
Add more information to extend the length of your blog posts. Maybe years before, your blog posts were not as informative as they should have been. Edit those and add more information that you may not have included before.
Make sure to remove any “spammy” comments. These can cause a user to see the website as not safe with no security measures in place. They may be enjoying your blog post only to scroll to the bottom to see 35 spammy comments and all your credibility goes out the window.
Update any call-to-actions that you may have. Or, if you do not have CTA’s, then add them! CTA’s are an excellent way to build your email list. Or, maybe you recently created a digital product. Add that to your older blog posts to see more sales!
Lastly, maybe consider updating your website design. Is your current website design functional and up to date? Is it more than five years old? Do you feel it’s boring?
It may be time to take a look at your design to see if you need a more current design. There are a few reasons why a website design refresh may be something you need to consider.
1. If your brand has changed in the last five years, then make sure your design reflects those changes.
2. Your website should be mobile-friendly! Eighty percent of internet users visit websites on their mobile devices. Having a website that looks great on mobile can improve your user’s experience. And an excellent user experience means returning customers. Source: https://techjury.net)
3. Updating to a new design can also improve your page load and website speed, which is so important for retaining users on your website. If your design is old and outdated, it could cause serious issues with your website speed.
4. If your bounce rate is high, users are not sticking around. This could mean that your navigation is not user-friendly or the content is outdated. This may mean it’s time for a totally new website design!
If you are considering a new design, then let me introduce you to two of my Showit Design Templates, “You’ve Got This”, and “Focused and Fab.” Showit designs are becoming more popular with online business owners. And here is why! (Source: Showit.co)
1. With Showit’s 100% drop and drag feature, it allows you to have complete creative control over how your design will look. You are not forced to place content where you may not want it.
2. A Showit Design is easy to update without having to worry about website coding. This is a total game changer! No more changing codes and worrying about deleting something and totally crashing your website.
3. Showit allows integrates with WordPress to post your blog posts and offers FREE blog migration!
4. Friendly technical support who are there for you to answer ANY questions you may have! And, quickly! I have never had an issue with their customer service. Unlike WordPress, where you find yourself spending countless hours searching for tutorials to answer your questions. Showit Customer Service is just a click away!
Even if you do not feel you need a new design, please make these easy edits to your website for the new year. You will be glad you did!
How often do you update your website? What items do you look at when upgrading for the new year? Let me know in the comments!
Hi 🤗! I want to help you create a website you love 💕 where you are excited to work or blog. Come see our easy to use, feminine, beautiful designs.
You’ve put in the work to make awesome content, now it’s time to dress up your site with a stunning design.